Please note: Students are responsible for obtaining any required empowerments or transmissions.
About Our Courses
Students take our courses for a variety of reasons. One approach is simply to watch the videos, which can be highly instructive. A second is to watch the videos, read the text(s), and do the prescribed practices daily, which is far more helpful and meaningful. The best way is to watch the videos, read the texts, do the prescribed practices daily, and complete the homework and daily practice journal. This, of course requires more time with diligence and patience. It is also by far the most beneficial to your practice and level of realization. We accept all of these levels of students. May the classes be of benefit.
Online courses are now available on an open-entry basis, that is, students may begin at any time (subject to mentor availability). Please email us at EmailAwamTBI@gmail.com for specific availability. Tucson course availability is listed in our monthly newsletter.
Course catalog - click for a PDF with complete listing and description of all courses at Awam Tibetan Buddhist Institute.
Know which class you want? Click here.
Fall Classes - Tucson or Online
Awam Tibetan Buddhist Institute, 3400 E Speedway, Suite 204, Tucson AZ
(Located just east of Whole Foods in the Rancho Center)
• Essentials Part 1: A survey of Buddhism in India and Tibet, an overview and introduction to key Vajrayana principles and practices, and the first part of the Path of Individual Liberation: ethics and shamata meditation - single-pointed calm abiding. Text: Innate Happiness: Realizing Compassion-Emptiness, Khenpo Drimed Dawa. 6 weeks, $60. Please contact Jane Stanley at emailAwamTBI@gmail.com.
• Essentials Part 2: Continues the Path of Individual Liberation with vipassana meditation (special insight) regarding self and other and the early view of wisdom; followed by the Path of Altruism (Bodhisattva): ethics, practices of the Six Perfections, Tonglen (giving and taking) and Metta (lovingkindness) meditations, and the Bodhisattva view of wisdom – the Perfection of Wisdom literature, Buddhanature, and the Middle Way.
• Essentials Part 5: Continues the Path of Tantra with the completion stage practices: inner heat, channels-winds-drops, illusory body, and dream yoga to become a buddha in this lifetime. Text: Innate Happiness: Realizing Compassion-Emptiness, Khenpo Drimed Dawa. Begins August 12, Sundays @9:00 am. 6 weeks, $60.
• Essentials Part 6: Continues the completion stage practices of the Path of Tantra with clear light, sexual yogas, the bardos of dying, dharmata, and becoming, and the transference of consciousness; followed by the tantric view of wisdom.
• Introduction to Dzogchen - Parts 1 & 2: Dzogchen or the Great Perfection is the highest level of the Vajrayana teachings. It deals directly with self-liberation into our innate Buddha Nature, abiding in the state of rigpa. This overview describes the three branches of Dzogchen teachings-the mind series, the space series, and the special instructions (including trekcho and togal). Texts: Quintessential Dzogchen: Confusion Dawns as Wisdom translated and compiled by Eric Pema Kunsang and Marcia Binder Schmidt and The Golden Letters translated, introduction and commentaries by John Myrdhin Reynolds. This course is divided into two 8-week classes. $80 ea.
Online classes may be started and taken at any time at your own pace. Online classes include videos and a qualified mentor to assist you. Classes include the Essentials of Tibetan Buddhism, advanced classes on Dzogchen, and other basic or advanced classes of a general interest.
• Essentials of Tibetan Buddhism 1-8: A very thorough program for those who wish to learn but have limited time to practice. The teachings by Khenpo Drimed Dawa are all on video, supplemented with printable handouts. Text: Innate Happiness: Realizing Compassion-Emptiness, Khenpo Drimed Dawa. 6 weeks ea, $60 ea.
• Advanced Curriculum - Dzogchen, the Great Perfection: Nine classes for advanced students based on contemporary and classical texts. The teachings are on video. 8 weeks ea, $80 ea.
• Improving Your Practice: An 8-week course from traditional Buddhist views of mind and Western scientific research; addresses difficulties such as staying focused and other common obstacles. 8 weeks, $ 80.
• 100-Day Ngondro 1-2: Provides a concise structure for completing the preliminary practices based on Jigme Lingpa's Longchen Nyingtik terma, using instructions from HE Jigme Lodro Rinpoche related to The Words of My Perfect Teacher as presented on videos by Khenpo Drimed Dawa. 7 weeks ea, $70
• The Tibetan Book of the Dead: A detailed look at instructions of Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava) according to the terma of Karma Lingpa; includes other sources on death and dying from Tibetan Buddhism; videos with Khenpo Drimed Dawa. Text: The Tibetan Book of the Dead trans. by Trungpa and Fremantle. 8 weeks - $80.
• What Did the Buddha Say? Exploring the Sutras 1-2: An exploration of Pali and Sanskrit sutras and some related sources to provide Vajrayana practitioners a fuller understanding of selected foundational texts of the tradition, as well as to challenge some of our assumptions and understandings; on videos with Khenpo Drimed Dawa. Text: The main text is In the Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi; other texts are optional. 8 weeks ea, $80 ea.
• Vajrayogini: A Highest Yoga Tantra deity practice of Vajrayana. She is a female Buddha who is the essence of all the Buddhas. Participants should have a Vajrayogini empowerment (in one of her variety of forms) or at least some other form of highest yoga empowerment; on videos with Khenpo Drimed Dawa. Text: Vajrayogini by Elizabeth English. 8 weeks; $80.
• Kalachakra 1-2: One of the most complex systems in tantric Buddhism. It teaches the practice of working with the most subtle energies within one's body on the path to enlightenment. This class examines the tantra and commentaries, along with practice texts; on videos with Khenpo Drimed Dawa. Prerequisites: Generation and Completion Stage study and practice. Texts: Ornament of Stainless Light: An Exposition of the Kalacakra Tantra by Khendrup Norsang Gyatso 8 weeks ea, $80 ea.
• Rigdzin Dupa - Gathering of Vidyadharas: This class will study the Rigdzin Dupa: Gathering of Vidyadharas text and sadhana. It is a highest yoga tantra practice linked to the Guhyagarbha Tantra. It is a treasure text from the Longchen Nyingtik terma of Jigme Lingpa (1730-1798), a generation-stage practice with a Dzogchen (Great Perfection) view. Fee: $60, 6 weeks.
Admission & Registration
There is no separate admission process for the Essentials courses. Although it is best to take the courses sequentially from the beginning (Part 1), a student may begin with any of the eight parts. Online courses are available on an open-entry basis, that is, students may begin at any time (subject to mentor availability). Please check our website to inquire about specific availability. Class registration is available through our website AwamInstitute.org under “Take Classes”.
The advanced curriculum courses require completion of the Essentials courses or other similar background, the latter of which must be approved by Khenpo Drimed Dawa in advance. The course schedule depends upon mentor availability. Contact Khenpo.Drimed.Dawa@gmail.com for course availability. Once you have been approved and assigned a mentor, you will be able to register for your course simply by going to our website at AwamInstitute.org to sign up under “Take Classes”, or you may register with the instructor in Tucson.
Payment for online classes is made via PayPal by credit or debit card. The cost is currently $60 per course for each part of Essentials and $80 per part for each of the advanced curriculum courses. Books are purchased by students separately either at local bookstores or online.
Courses and cost are subject to changes without notification. For any other questions or information, please contact Khenpo.Drimed.Dawa@gmail.com.
Thank you for your interest in Awam Tibetan Buddhist Institute’s programs of study in Tibetan Buddhism. We sincerely wish you great success in your path to innate happiness for the benefit of all sentient beings!
May all beings be happy!